If you have been watching me on YouTube for any length of time you know that from time to time I build something wild and crazy. On this occasion, I choose to build 3 dinosaurs, more specifically velociraptors that are attached to each other and run around side by side. Doing it this way makes the remote-controlled raptors much more stable, six legs are better than two.
It is important to make it as stable as possible because I want to be able to take it to Maker Fairs and woodworking shows. The why is simple, I want to inspire younger generations to work with their hands and build things. I love furniture building, but let’s face it, showing a youngster a chair or side table doesn’t do much to get their excitement going. But, a drill powered remote controlled walking trio of raptors? Now that is a great opportunity to show them building if fun and can be anything they want it to be.
I started by sketching out a raptor body on my tablet, uploaded the sketch to Sketch Up, traced the image and sized it to match my needs. I also designed the legs in Sketch Up so I could make templates for each of the leg parts. I took the file to my local printer and had them print out a full-size template of the body, and printed out the paper templates for the leg on my laser printer.
After getting all the parts cut out it was time for painting. Know I love woodworking but when it comes to painting I am still not convinced be shot with a high voltage taser repeatedly would be any worse than painting. Never the less, I managed to survive painting the legs and bodies with a few different shades of metallic paint to give it a metal look.
I decided to make my own hardware to save money. I used this opportunity to buy a small horizontal bandsaw to make the 148 bushing I needed for the leg joints and other metal components. It took almost 3 full days to get all the metal parts done. Next time I will just buy them. Lol
Finally, I was ready to start the assembly process which started with build the bodies of each raptor’s and drill the holes for the rocker arms and hip pivot joint.
Installing the walking Mechanism or Legs took about 6 hours each assembly need to be perfect because of the choice I made to weld the components toghter. Once they all the nuts , bolt and hardware was in place I welded it all together.
To drive the system I used a 15:1 right angle gearbox from the drive side of the gear box I installed chain sprockets to attach a chain to the drive the sprockets that were installed all the individual axles of each raptor.
Building these crazy projects can get expensive. I bought the 36volt drill I am using to power it over a year ago but it was $400 if you add the $600 for the large linear servo, Radio controller, and 2 additional standard servos it already over a grand with shipping. I will spare you the rest of the details but with the paint, plywood, hardware and an additional 12volt battery for the large servo this build is just shy of $2,500.
I have a small amount of experience with radio controlled projects and it always surprises me how simple it can be to do. Each controller or joystick comes with a receiver you plug the servos into the receiver and attach it to whatever you want to control along with a battery and you’re done. For smaller servos the battery pack plugs right into the receiver and for larger servos like the linear servo I used to steer my raptors a 12-volt battery is needed.
My remote controlled dinosaurs are not quite done yet. I still have some more woodworking and cosmetic work to do on them but for know that will have to wait. My hope is to have time to finish it up this winter and have it ready for next summer’s shows . I built it just small enough to fit in my van with the seats folded down so it will be easy to transport to maker fairs and woodworking shows. So who knows, maybe you will be at a woodworking show or maker fair and have a chance to drive around my Remote Controlled Drill Powered Velociraptors.